During my encounter with burnout I realized that I needed to learn how to relieve stress on a daily basis in order to prevent a re-occurrence of that horrible experience.
In this article I will share with you the 21 easy ways to relieve stress and enjoy a healthier life that I came up with:
- Take a hot bath. Sitting in a tub of hot water in candle light and music softly playing will do more good than a visit to your shrink.
- Learn some relaxation techniques. Breathe in through your nose to the count of 4, then hold for 7 and then exhale through your mouth for 8.
- Get a massage. There is no substitute for the human touch when it comes to getting the body to relax and allow itself to heal.
- Exercise three to five times per week for twenty to thirty minutes. Work yourself into a sweat. Fitness reduces stress. Try the 7-minute workout to get started.
- Don’t sweat about the small stuff. Keep things in perspective. "This didn't come to stay...it came to pass!" as my mother says.
- Drink plenty of water and less caffeine. Drink all the coffee you want as long as you start with 2 glasses of water when wake up. Then 2 glasses between each coffee.
- Eat right. Eliminate fats from your diet. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Nobody ever got fat by just looking at food. You become what you eat.
- Be thankful. Count your blessings every day. Every morning right a few things in your journal that you are grateful for. Then thank a few people throughout your day.
- Forgive others. Grudges are too heavy to be carried around. Holding a grudge makes us a prisoner and sets the perpetrator free.
- Take time for solitude. Meditate. Spend the first hour of your day alone.
- Learn to laugh. Lighten up. Humor heals. If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
- Quit worrying. When you begin to worry about a situation, think of the worst thing that could happen and say, “so what?”
- Get to bed earlier if you’re not getting enough sleep. Most people sleep a half hour too long every morning. Arise early. It's a habit you'll wish you'd started a long time ago.
- Think positive and be optimistic. Expect the best. Negative people always seem to have a problem for every solution. Learn to avoid these folks.
- Recharge your batteries. Have fun. Get yourself a hobby. Write this as “me time” on your calendar.
- Set realistic personal goals. Your goal should make you stretch...but not to the breaking point.
- Regularly review your goals and your progress. Be sure you are following the right road map.
- Develop better time management habits. Focus on one thing at a time. Multi-tasking is a killer.
- Learn to say “NO” with a smile. Know your purpose. Follow your plan, Ignore the distractions.
- Spend lots of quality time with those you love. After you’re dead, they won’t care how much time you spent at the office. If they'll cry when you die...give while you live!
- Simplify your life. Get rid of stuff. Discover the joys of becoming a minimalist. You can't take it with you. Give while you live. Leave a legacy!
What are some ways to relieve stress and live a healthier life that you have discovered? Share them in the comments below: